One of the most popular nutritional supplements in the market is collagen. Read on to find out what is collagen and how it can benefit your overall health.
What is Collagen?
Proteins are essential nutrients that fuel your body and are the building blocks of body tissue. Collagen is the most abundant protein in the body and provides structure to skin, muscles, and bones.
The protein is found in tendons, ligaments, teeth, corneas, and even blood vessels. Think of it like the “glue” that essentially holds your body together.
What Does It Do?
While there are at least 16 types, there are four main ones, each with different roles.
- Accounts for 90% of the body’s collagen
- Made from densely packed fibers
- Provides structure to bones, cartilage, teeth, skin, tendons, and connective tissue
- Made of loosely packed fibers
- Found in elastic cartilage, cushioning the joints
- Supports muscle, organ, and artery structure
- Located in the layers of the skin
- Help with filtration
As we age, our bodies produce less of this essential protein and at a lower quality. To help the body in its production, you need to fill your body with certain nutrients – specifically vitamin C, glycine, proline, and copper.
You can find these nutrients naturally in the following foods:
- Vitamin C: citrus fruits, strawberries, and bell peppers
- Glycine: pork skin, gelatin, chicken skin, and several protein-containing foods
- Proline: wheat germ, cabbage, mushrooms, egg whites, dairy products, and asparagus
- Copper: sesame seeds, cashews, organ meats, cocoa powder, lentils
Collagen Supplement Benefits
Another way to boost production is to use supplements. You can get it through gelatin and hydrolyzed collagen.
While gelatin seems like the best choice due to its familiarity, hydrolyzed formulas are the best way to get that extra collagen you need.
Current studies show that individuals may benefit in the following areas from supplementation:
Collagen for Skin
- Women showed improvements in skin elasticity
- They also saw improvements by minimizing lines and wrinkles
- Osteoarthritis patients saw a significant pain decline in a 70-day study
For Muscle Mass
- Older men saw an increase in muscle mass and strength when combined with strength training
Collagen is one of the essential proteins in the body. By eating the right foods and using the right supplements, you can boost and maintain your levels at a healthy range.
If you haven’t done so already, try Ideal Collagen to start experiencing the benefits this supplement provides.